Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Noms = Epic Fail (Again)




Well the Academy blew it again, yet I'm going to sit there watching the awards, waiting for someone to apologize for giving the Best Picture Oscar to Chariots of Fire over Raiders of the Lost Ark. Let's run through the few categories that people actually care about. So I'm going to go through this list and predict who will win and who I want to win. I haven't seen all these movies, so I am basing this on people I like. If you don't like it, go watch Oprah or something

Best Actor
Who will win: Mickey Rourke (WTF?)
Who should win: Mickey Rourke (Seriously, Mickey Rourke?)

Richard Jenkins in The Visitor
Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn in Milk
Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler

Best Supporting Actor

Who will win: Heath Ledger
Who should win: Heath Ledger (I think it would be hilarious if Downey Jr. won)

Josh Brolin in Milk
Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road

Best Actress

Who will win: Kate Winslet
Who should win: (Tie) Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis for Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie in Changeling 
Melissa Leo in Frozen River
Meryl Streep in Doubt
Kate Winslet in The Reader

Best Supporting Actress

Who will win: Viola Davis
Who should win: Marisa Tomei (So people can stop saying her first win was a mistake)

Amy Adams in Doubt
Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis in Doubt
Taraji P. Henson in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler

Best Director

Who will win: Danny Boyle
Who should win: Christopher Nolan (Fuck you Academy!)

David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Potsie for Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant for Milk
Stephen Daldry for The Reader
Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Best Picture

Who will win: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Who should win: Slumdog Millionaire

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those years where I like quite a few of the pictures being nominated as well as the actors who star in them so it’s a tuff call, if I was voting the big honors would probably go to Slumdog. Nolan is cool but he always has the same tone to his films, Boyle went out of his comfort zone with Slumdog and the result is something more unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and Milk is way over rated, I feel like I knew everything that the film chose to focus on before I even saw it and I am by no means a history buff. I think Gus took liberties in some of the scenes that veered from the factual information and for me it felt like the lines between reality and fantasy were crossed.

    ReplyDelete