Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Can We Please Just Stop Overdoing It?



Look, I don't want to say bad things about a dead guy, but can we stop pretending that Heath Ledger was the greatest actor ever? Can people also stop coming out of the woodwork proclaiming themselves Heath Ledger fans or how awesome he was?

Let me explain. I think he was a good actor and his portrayal of the Joker was phenomenol, but one year later and people are saying how amazing he was.

This quote for example: "One other guarantee is that I'll be a sensitive mess when Ledger wins (the Oscar). That dude was awesome, and it sucks that he’s gone."

It does suck that he's gone, but he was "awesome?" He definitely had potential, but based on his career, I wouldn't go as far as saying he was awesome.

10 Things I Hate About You - Fine, let's say he gets a break for this piece of crap cause it's his first major role.

The Patriot - American Braveheart was a pretty boring movie and it was all about Mel anyway.

Monster's Ball - Halle Berry taking it doggie style from Billy Bob Thornton was great, but did anybody really like this movie?

The Four Feathers - Bombed.

Ned Kelly and The Order - Horrible movies.

Lords of Dogtown - Haven't seen it. I've heard good things, but I'm not sure how big his role was.

The Brothers Grimm - How this movie sucked was beyond me.

Brokeback Mountain - Movie wasn't bad, performance was excellent.

Casanova, Candy and I'm Not There - Crap, haven't seen it and small role.

The Dark Knight - Excellent, though I still maintain that Chris Nolan was more important to the awesomeness of that movie.

So again, how awesome was he? I put him up there with River Phoenix, untapped potential who was lost too early. But let's not put him in the same category as some of the current greats.

No comments:

Post a Comment